Aug 13, 2004

Oh yes it's Ladies' Night!

Mark the date on your calendars, guys, because tonight I am cooking a recipe. For multiple people. And not just any people, but girl friends, most of whom are healthy, organic, gourmet-eating types. My favorite food is cereal, so you can see how this is a major culinary debut for me. A "coming-out party," if you will.

We are planning an orgy of dinner, wine, junk food, AND - the piece de resistance - Andrew McCarthy movies! St Elmo's Fire and Weekend at Bernie's, for some variety. This is all for a higher good: one of my friends was just broken up with, and she's in that stage where she wants to call the guy and talk to him about trying the relationship again or some such crap. So she needs to be with friends tonight, both for her mental state and for her pride, because left alone she would definitely end up drunk-dialing him. And that just will not do.

My recipe is from a book that my mom must have secretly slipped into my top kitchen cabinet when she helped me move in a year ago (crafty!), because I only just discovered it, while searching for serving dishes. It's pasta tossed with lemon juice, olive oil, fresh basil, plum tomatoes, and Parmesan cheese. I think I am going to grill some salmon and throw that on, too. See, I am going to town for these people! I even, you know, cleaned and dusted and vacuumed.

It is going to be the party of the century, and will be written up in the gossip column of the Post. Obviously.

|