Oct 8, 2004

I don't get paid nearly enough, then.

Today I learned that there is a new pillow called the Boyfriend's Arm pillow. How cute, right? I like how the article describes it as being "designed for the single girl in need of some manly comfort while she sleeps." Manly comfort! That is awesome.

However, this might work better in theory than in practice. Imagine going to sleep all snuggled up on a big flesh-colored lump? And trying to make yourself believe that a dismembered plushy limb has an actual human being attached? It's kind of creepy.

************************************************

I have been tricked into watching the debates tonight. Made plans to go out for drinks later on with two girlfriends but the one suddenly insists on our going someplace where we can watch. It seems odd to leave the house just to watch TV, but whatever. I guess we'll be going to Capitol Hill, as I can't imagine that bars anywhere else will show it (and will be quiet enough for actual listening). Actually, maybe we should just go to someone's house and watch. At least then we can eat junk food, and I am going to need some junk food in order to distract me from what I will really want to do: namely, throw large objects at the TV screen whenever W speaks.

Cannot believe my boss is not giving me Monday off. If I am as damn incompetent as he still believes, am I not less of a liability to him if I am not in the office? Grrr. Wish I could work from home. But cannot, because I need to be here all the time to field phone calls from all the people who he is avoiding because they annoy him.

Kind of ironic, because right now I annoy him. I had a big talk with my father about the phone saga and subsequent demotion in my boss's eyes from Wonderful Assisting Dynamo to Craptastic Lazy Thorn-in-Side, and he had some really good advice. The best part was when he told me that, even though it's not really fair, supervisors tend to take their bad hair days out on their admins, and that I should not take it personally. As in, he's not really mad at Me the Person, but at His Assistant. Which is a good thing for me to remember, as I take people being upset at me too hard. Also my dad said that as an assistant, part of my job description is basically "putting up with the boss's bullshit." Isn't that a great thing for a father to say? He told me, "Whenever he's being really unfair to you, just keep your head down and do your best, and know you're doing your best, and just repeat to yourself, 'Part of my job is to put up with his bullshit. Part of what I am paid to do is to put up with his bullshit.' "

Heh. My dad gives the best advice ever.

|