Oct 12, 2004

Am blushing right now, actually.

Do you want to hear how totally neurotic I am? At work, my boss and I share an office. One thing about him that has always amazed me is that he can just carry on phone conversations for, like, a looong time, with me in the room. Like, there's no other sound except for my typing (web surfing) and his talking, so I really can't help but hear what he's talking about. It just blows my mind how un-selfconscious he is about that.

Me, I like privacy. Especially for conducting conversations, whether personal or business-related. I think maybe living alone has exacerbated my already-shy streak, because I get seriously embarrassed when I have to hold a long, in-depth phone conversation when our office is otherwise quiet. Like, to the point where my boss will make fun of how hard I am blushing when I hang up the phone.

So here comes the neurotic bit: I have come up with techniques for avoiding having to be the only one on the phone at a time. These include waiting until he has picked up the phone to make a call, and then frantically dialing the number I had to reach, or taking my cell phone upstairs to the empty floor and calling people from it. No, I am not joking. That's pathological, right? That's a pathological fear of public speaking. Why am I like this? I want to be able to gab gab gab in front of him, but I just can't. Lord help me when people call me, asking about when their invoice will be paid, or what flight I have booked for them, or "I'm at the corner of blah and blah - Mapquest my location for me real quick, okay?" It's fine when I am alone in the office; I just hate having to scramble for information and sort of stutter out an answer while I know my boss is listening.

(Have just realized I need to stop posting about work, because I never write about my Glory Moments, only the fuck-ups, and thus am giving the impression that am a raving imbecile. Please believe me when I say that I am not a raving imbecile. Yet.)

On another topic, what I have learned today is that the name Doug is really weird to look at after a while. It looks like it should be pronounced Doog, not Dug.

|