Oct 14, 2004

I was adult and watched the debates

...Pretty much the entire thing, too. Sometime toward the end, when it devolved into a More than a Woman-esque ode to their wives I got bored and started reading a book, but I was there during all the heavy stuff.

I hadn't listened to Dubya speak in a long time, mostly because doing so pains me, but I did notice a marked lessening in the frequency of his mis-pronouncements. So, good for him. (I can be fair!) However, he is still extremely smirky and haughty, which I hate. It is one demeanor which immediately turns me off to a person. (For example, Martina Hingis. The first time I watched one of her matches and saw her smirk whenever the girl hit one into the net, I knew I would always root for her to lose.)

Some Kerry moments I liked:

  • When he talked about keeping the country safe "in the manner of Kennedy, Reagan, and Roosevelt," ie. with the cooperation of other countries.

  • "Being lectured by the President on fiscal responsibility is a little like being lectured by Tony Soprano on law and order." Pretty canned and rehearsed, but whatever. At least it shows that he and/or his writers are in touch with the real America, as it referenced not one but two hit TV shows. (Direly important, of course.)

  • That answer he gave about what solace he would give to the unemployed "American working man." I am ashamed to admit that that phrase made me think of Tommy Boy, when Dan Aykroyd did the commercial to advertise his brake pads.

  • The bit when he talked about increasing the minimum wage to $7, and the benefits it would provide for pink-collar single mothers.


And, some things Bush said that I disagreed with:

  • The tax code ought to encourage marriage, not discourage it." Alright, not to go all Bridget Jones-smug-marrieds on you, but actually no, one lifestyle should not incur a financial penalty over another. It's not the government's place to dole out sticks and carrots to people based on their relationship status.

  • When he said that "abstinence should be a viable alternative to abortion." Hello? Once you're pregnant, that "abstinence horse" is pretty much out of the barn.

  • That part toward the end when it went all religious, and he quoted people asking him " 'How do you know people around the country prey for you?' 'I don't know; I just feel it.' " Gack. Suddenly I have an urge for crackers to go with that cheese.

  • When Kerry pointed out to Bush that he had once stated he was "not really worried about where Bin Laden was anymore," and Bush denied this, going so far as to say that it was another of Kerry's exaggerations. Then afterwards, the pundits played the clip from 2002 where Bush had said exactly that.


In general I was really pleased with Kerry's performance. Especially with how assertive he was in rebutting every claim Bush made, both about Bush and about himself. I know there are many people who absolutely do not trust Kerry to be "tough on terrorism," whatever that even means, so they are permanently beyond his grasp, but I hope that some people who were on the fence about his economic and social views until last night now have more to go on. Hope hope hope...

|